2012-04-24

Scratching The Surface of Apex




I've always had a big streak of developer/analyst in me, especially when it comes to developing web applications that interact with data.  And as a result, I've been itching to start working with Oracle Application Express (Apex).  What's Apex?  As described by Oracle, it's...

...a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy professional applications that are both fast and secure. Oracle APEX is a fully supported, no cost option of the Oracle database.


Perfect!  Exactly what I like.  Something simple, yet powerful. Something I can rapidly prototype, but can add seriously heavy duty features to in the future if needed (such as Active Directory authentication, for example).  So yesterday, I got started with the 2 Day + Application Express Developer's Guide tutorial.  All I have to say so far is WOW.  I'm LOVING this product.

That said, I highly recommend watching the brief, 3 minute flash video on Oracle's site for a great overview of Apex.  And I'll leave you with something I found very interesting about Apex that impressed me greatly with regard to Application Express' capabilities — Oracle's Support site, Metalink, was developed in Apex!



No comments:

Post a Comment